Mossberg 500 Tactical options: a complete Overview
The Mossberg 500 is a popular shotgun that has been in production since 1961. It is known for its durability, reliability, and versatility, making it a popular choice for a variety of shooting applications, including tactical use.
One of the key features of the Mossberg 500 is its pump-action design, which allows the user to quickly and easily chamber a new round with the slide located on the top of the firearm. This makes it easy to operate in stressful or high-pressure situations, such as in tactical situations.
The Mossberg 500 also has a variety of customization options, including the ability to swap out barrels, stocks, and other accessories. This allows users to tailor the shotgun to their specific needs and preferences.
Mossberg 500/590/590M Tactical
One popular variant of the Mossberg 500 is the tactical version, which features a shorter barrel and a pistol grip, making it more compact and easier to maneuver in close quarters. It also often comes with additional features such as a Picatinny rail for attaching optics or other accessories.
Mossberg produces several tactical variants of the 500 and 590 shotguns that are designed for law enforcement and military use. Here are some of the main features of some popular tactical Mossberg 500 and 590 models:
• Mossberg 500 Tactical: This model features a black synthetic stock and forend, a bead front sight, and a tactical adjustable rear sight. It has a heavy-walled barrel and a Parkerized finish for added durability. It is available with a variety of barrel lengths, including 18.5 inches, 20 inches, and 28 inches.
• Mossberg 590A1 Tactical: This model is similar to the 500 Tactical, but it features a metal trigger guard and safety, as well as a heavier barrel with a bead front sight. It is available with a variety of barrel lengths, including 18.5 inches, 20 inches, and 28 inches.
• Mossberg 590M Tactical: This model is designed for use with magazines and features a Magpul SGA stock and forend, as well as a heavy-walled barrel with a bead front sight. It is available in a variety of barrel lengths and finishes, including black, marinecote, and FDE.
The 500 Flex
The Mossberg 500 Flex is a variant of the Mossberg 500 shotgun that is designed to be highly modular and customizable. The Flex system allows users to easily swap out various components, such as the buttstock, forend, and barrel, to suit their specific needs and preferences. The 500 Flex also features a synthetic stock and receiver, which makes it lightweight and durable, as well as a choice of barrel lengths and finishes.
It is a popular choice for hunting, tactical, and home defense applications. It is important to note that the use and possession of firearms is subject to laws and regulations that vary by location, and it is the responsibility of the user to ensure that they are in compliance with all applicable laws and regulations.
The 500 Flex SPECS
Here are some of the main specifications of the Mossberg 500 Flex shotgun:
• Caliber: 12 gauge
• Action: Pump action
• Barrel length:Available in various lengths, ranging from 18.5 inches to 28 inches
• Overall length:Varies depending on configuration, but generally ranges from 36 inches to 48 inches
• Weight: Approximately 7.5 lbs
• Capacity: Varies depending on model, but generally holds 5+1 rounds in the magazine tube
• Stock: Synthetic, adjustable for length of pull and comb height • Sights: Bead front sight, adjustable rear sight (on some models)
• Finish: Available in a variety of finishes, including blued, matte black, and camo
It is important to note that these specifications may vary depending on the specific model and configuration of the Mossberg 500 Flex shotgun. It is always a good idea to refer to the manufacturer's website or product documentation for the most accurate and up-to-date information.
The 500 Flex usage
The Mossberg 500 Flex is a versatile and customizable shotgun that can be suitable for a variety of applications. Some common situations in which the 500 Flex may be a good choice include:
• Hunting:The 500 Flex is a reliable and durable shotgun that can be used for hunting a variety of game, including birds and small game. The ability to swap out barrels and stock configurations can make it easier to tailor the shotgun to specific hunting situations.
• Tactical/home defense: The 500 Flex is often used by law enforcement and military personnel for tactical operations, and it can also be a good choice for home defense. Its modular design allows users to configure it for various scenarios, and the synthetic stock and receiver make it resistant to harsh weather conditions.
• Recreational shooting: The 500 Flex can also be used for recreational shooting, such as skeet and trap shooting, or for target practice. Its adjustable stock and various barrel lengths make it suitable for a range of shooting disciplines.
It is important to note that the use and possession of firearms is subject to laws and regulations that vary by location, and it is the responsibility of the user to ensure that they are in compliance with all applicable laws and regulations. Additionally, it is always a good idea to undergo proper training and familiarization with any firearm before using it.
Mossberg 500 Tactical: the barrel
The shorter barrel on the Mossberg 500 tactical allows for easier maneuverability in close quarters or tight spaces. It also makes the shotgun more compact, which can be beneficial for storage or transport.
However, the shorter barrel does have some trade-offs.
One of the main drawbacks is a reduction in velocity and accuracy. This is because the shorter barrel reduces the amount of time that the shot has to accelerate before it exits the barrel, which can negatively impact performance.
Additionally, the shorter barrel may also produce more recoil than a longer barrel, as the gases produced by the burning gunpowder have less time to dissipate before they reach the shooter. This can make the shotgun more challenging to shoot accurately, especially for inexperienced shooters.
Mossberg 500 Tactical: the grip
The pistol grip on the Mossberg 500 tactical is a handle located beneath the receiver of the shotgun, allowing the user to hold the firearm in a similar manner to a handgun. This can make it easier to controland aim the shotgun, especially in close quarters or when using one hand.
One of the main benefits of the pistol grip is that it allows the user to maintain a more stable and consistent gripon the shotgun, which can help improve accuracy and control. It also allows the user to easily switch between different shooting positions, such as from the shoulder to the hip, without having to readjust their grip.
However, the pistol grip can also have some drawbacks. It may be less comfortable for some users, especially for those with larger hands, as it can put more pressure on the wrist and hand. It can also be more challenging to use the Mossberg 500's safety with the pistol grip, as the user's thumb may not easily reach the safety switch located on the receiver.
Overall, the pistol grip on the Mossberg 500 tactical can be a useful feature for some users, as it allows for improved control and aim of the shotgun. However, it may not be suitable for all shooters, as it can be less comfortable and may make it more challenging to use the safety.
Mossberg 500 Tactical: common upgrades
There are many different upgrades and accessories available for the Mossberg 500 tactical to enhance its capabilities and functionality. Some examples of these upgrades include:
1. Optics and sights: Adding a red dot sight or other optic can help improve accuracy and target acquisition. Examples include brands such as Vortex, Trijicon, and EOTech.
2. Barrels: Swapping out the barrel of the Mossberg 500 tactical can allow the user to customize the length, caliber, or choke of the shotgun. Brands such as Mossberg, Remington, and Carlson offer a variety of barrel options.
3. Stocks: Changing the stock of the Mossberg 500 tactical can allow the user to adjust the length of pull, cheek rest height, or other aspects of the firearm's fit and handling. Brands such as WOOX, offer a variety of stock options.
4. Forends: Replacing the forend of the Mossberg 500 tactical can allow the user to add additional grip points, Picatinny rails, or other accessories.Brands such as WOOX, offer a variety of stock options.
5. Grips: Adding a vertical grip or other grip accessory can improve the user's hold on the shotgun and reduce fatigue.
6. Slings: Adding a sling to the Mossberg 500 tactical can allow the user to easily carry and transport the firearm. Brands such as Magpul, Blue Force Gear, and Viking Tactics offer a variety of sling options.
These are just a few examples of the many upgrades and accessories available for the Mossberg 500 tactical. There are many other options available, depending on the user's specific needs and preferences
There are many different upgrades and accessories available for the Mossberg 500 tactical to enhance its capabilities and functionality.