Remington 700 Models Chambered in .308: All you need to know
The Remington 700 is a popular bolt-action rifle that has been a favorite among hunters, target shooters, and law enforcement agencies for decades. The .308 Winchester chambering is one of the most popular cartridges used with the Remington 700.
If you're looking to purchase a Remington 700 chambered in .308 Winchester, here are some things to consider:
the factory Rem700 SPS Tactical Rifle .308 Win 16.5 rifle
Action: The Remington 700 is available in two different actions: short action and long action. The .308 Winchester cartridge is a short action cartridge, so you should choose a rifle with a short action for best performance.
Barrel: The Remington 700 is available with a variety of barrel lengths, materials, and profiles. A longer barrel will give you greater accuracy at longer ranges, but a shorter barrel may be more maneuverable in tight quarters. You should also consider the profile of the barrel, such as a heavy or fluted barrel, which can affect the balance and handling of the rifle.
Trigger: The Remington 700 comes with a factory trigger that is adjustable but may not be as smooth or consistent as an aftermarket trigger. Upgrading to a quality trigger can greatly improve the accuracy and consistency of your rifle.
Stock: The stock of the Remington 700 can greatly affect the accuracy and comfort of the rifle. You can choose between synthetic or wood stocks, and there are also aftermarket stocks available that can be customized to fit your needs.
Scope: A high-quality scope is essential for accurate shooting at longer ranges. Consider the magnification, reticle, and overall quality of the scope you plan to use with your Remington 700.
Accessories: Depending on your intended use, you may want to consider accessories such as a bipod, sling, or other attachments to enhance the functionality and performance of your rifle.
Remington 700 models chambered in .308 Winchester comparison chart
|Model||Caliber||Barrel Length||Barrel Contour||Twist Rate||Overall Length||Weight||Mag capacity||Trigger||WOOX stock Compatible?|
|Remington 700 SPS||.308 Win||24"||Heavy||1:10"||43.625"||7.25 lbs||4+1||X-Mark Pro Adjustable||YES|
|Remington 700 SPS Tactical||.308 Win||20"||Heavy||1:10"||39.625"||7.5 lbs||4+1||X-Mark Pro Adjustable||YES|
|Remington 700 VTR||.308 Win||22"||Triangular||1:12"||41.625"||7.5 lbs||4+1||X-Mark Pro Adjustable||YES|
|Remington 700 Police||.308 Win||26"||Heavy||1:12"||45.75"||9 lbs||4+1||X-Mark Pro Adjustable||YES|
|Remington 700 5-R||.308 Win||24"||Heavy||1:11.25"||43.75"||8.5 lbs||4+1||X-Mark Pro Adjustable||YES|
|Remington 700 Magpul||.308 Win||22"||Heavy||1:10"||42.5"||8.5 lbs||4+1||X-Mark Pro Adjustable||YES|
|Remington 700 Long Range||.308 Win||26"||Heavy||1:10"||45.75"||8.75 lbs||4+1||X-Mark Pro Adjustable||YES|
|Remington 700 PCR||.308 Win||24"||Heavy||1:10"||44"||9.6 lbs||4+1||X-Mark Pro Adjustable||YES|
why The .308 Winchester cartridge is so popular?
The .308 Winchester cartridge is popular for a variety of reasons, including its versatility, accuracy, and effectiveness for a range of applications. Here are some pros and cons of the .308 Winchester cartridge:
The .308 pros
- Versatility: The .308 Winchester is a versatile cartridge that can be used for hunting, target shooting, and tactical applications. It can be used for a wide variety of game, including deer, elk, and bear.
- Accuracy: The .308 Winchester is known for its accuracy, with a relatively flat trajectory and consistent performance at longer ranges.
- Availability: The .308 Winchester is widely available and popular, making it easy to find ammunition and rifles chambered in this cartridge.
- Recoil: The .308 Winchester has a moderate recoil, making it manageable for most shooters, even when firing from a lightweight rifle.
The .308 pros
- Cost: Compared to some other cartridges, the .308 Winchester can be relatively expensive to shoot, especially if you shoot frequently or in large quantities.
- Short Range: While the .308 Winchester is accurate at longer ranges, it is not as effective as some other cartridges for extremely long-range shooting.
- Noise: The .308 Winchester can be loud and produce a significant muzzle blast, which can be a disadvantage in certain hunting or tactical situations.
- Barrel Life: The .308 Winchester can be hard on rifle barrels, and the barrel life may be shorter compared to some other cartridges.
Overall, the .308 Winchester cartridge is popular for good reasons, such as its versatility and accuracy. While it may have some drawbacks, its benefits make it a popular choice for many hunters, target shooters, and law enforcement agencies.
Overall, the Remington 700 chambered in .308 Winchester is a great choice for a versatile, accurate, and reliable bolt-action rifle. By considering these factors, you can choose the model and features that best suit your needs and preferences.